Safety tips from your local Danville Police department
The holidays are finally over and everyone is starting to get back to their normal daily routine. Criminals are back to their normal routine also. After Christmas, homes are filled with lots of new gifts. Crooks are aware of this and take advantage of this before, during and after the holiday season.
According to the Danville Express, city officials urge residents to take extra safety precautions throughout the holidays in an effort to help reduce potential crimes in Danville. In an effort to help prepare residents from becoming a victim, the Danville Police Department offers a series of crime-prevention tips.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- When shopping, put your items in the trunk and never leave purses, wallets or other valuables in your car.
- Always keep your house and car locked.
- Keep your garage door closed at all times. Put bicycles, lawnmowers and other outdoor items away when you are done with them.
- Always use a bicycle lock.
- Bring in delivered packages as soon as possible. If you are not going to be home have a friend or neighbor bring in packages right away.
- Use timers on your lights when you are not at home.
- When on vacation, put a stop mail and temporary stop newspaper delivery. Also, contact the Danville Police to register for a vacation house check.
As with any other time throughout the year, contact 9-1-1 or the Danville Police direct line at 820-2144 when you witness a crime or are a victim of one. Call immediately so all of the details are fresh in your mind.